[AUCTeX] TeXLive2011 Biber environment problem

From: Haines Brown
Subject: [AUCTeX] TeXLive2011 Biber environment problem
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:13:02 -0400

I installed TeXLive2011 and AUCTeX on Debian Squeeze. LaTeX itself
works well, but when I try to issue the bibtex command, it seems my
environment is not set up properly.

I have a test file, ~/testFiles/test.tex.

  \begin{document}
  \nocite{Veer1998}

  Test two citations (\cite{Goody1976} and \cite{Topolski2011}).

  \bibliography{historiography,soc-sci}
  \bibliographystyle{chicago}
  \end{document}

The Goody citation is in ~/jabref/soc-sci.bib and Topolski is in
~/jabref/historiography.bib.

The .aux file has:

  \relax
  \citation{Veer1998}
  \citation{Goody1976}
  \citation{Topolski2011}
  \bibdata{soc-sci}
  \bibstyle{chicago}

However, when I run the bibtex command, debug says that bibtex could
not open the two database files or chicago.bst. It seems that the
paths to the .bib and .bst files are not found. However, in ~/.bashrc
I have these lines:

  TEXINPUTS=/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf//$TEXINPUTS; export TEXINPUTS
  BIBINPUTS=/home/haines/jabref:$BIBINPUTS; export BIBINPUTS
  BSTINPUTS=/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/bibtex/bst:$BSTINPUTS;
      export BSTINPUTS

And I get these returns:

  $ echo $TEXINPUTS
  /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf//

  $ echo $BIBINPUTS
  /home/haines/jabref:

  $ echo $BSTINPUTS
  /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/bibtex/bst:

Am I using the proper method for telling bibtex where the bib and
style files are located?

Haines Brown