Re: [AUCTeX] TeXLive2011 Biber environment problem

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeXLive2011 Biber environment problem
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:38:10 +0200

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:23:38AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> Guilhem, you corrected me on a major point. I had assumed that
> biblatex was deprecated by biber and so its manual would be
> irrelevant. I see that this is not so.

No, definitely not. biblatex is a latex package (it's not a program) that
replaces packages such an natbib and harvard for creating bibliographies.
Additionally, it includes quite a bit of functionality that in the old way of
doing things was provided by bibtex (which is *not* a package but a program).

biblatex can make use of bibtex, but bibtex is rather limited (cannot handle
much more than ascii, in essence) so a replacement for bibtex was developed,
which is biber. Biber is a program (not a latex package ;-) meant to cooperate
with biblatex.

so you need both biblatex and biber. :-)

--
Joost Kremers, PhD
University of Göttingen