Re: [AUCTeX] TeXLive2011 Biber environment problem

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeXLive2011 Biber environment problem
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:18:04 -0400

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:28:15PM +0200, Bernhard Kleine wrote:

> >   $ echo $TEXINPUTS
> >   /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf:
> >
> Obviously, your texlive distribution is not found by texhash. If I
> assume that you have installed texlive in /usr/local/texlive/2011 that
> that directory should also be covered by texhash which it is not at this
> moment.

Berhard, I've run texhash on texfm-dist:

  # texhash texmf-dist
  texhash: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/ls-R...
  texhash: Done.

  # texhash
  texhash: Updating /usr/local/share/texmf/ls-R...
  texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R-TEXMFMAIN...
  texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R-TEXLIVE...
  texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
  texhash: Done.

  $ echo $TEXINPUTS
  /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf:

Apparently my texlive distribution is still not found by texhash (although I
don't understand how you know that).

> you need to add the /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/"your system"/
> folder to the path environment e.g. in /etc/environment and then re-run
> texhash.

This already in my PATH environment:

  $ echo $PATH
  /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:...

Incidentally, I define the TeX environment in ~/.bashrc rather than
/etc/environment. It should make no difference.

I do have an old TeXLive 2009 installed. I thought I had moved its
latex executable, but now see that /usr/bin/latex is a symlink to
pdftex. Since my TeXLive 2011 is working nicely for non-bibliographic
files, I probably should purge the old TeXLive 2009.

> Alternatively you can generate symbolic links using tlmgr
> (which I use only with a gui) to /usr/local/bin and add that folder as
> the first entry of your path variable.

The only relevant executable now in /usr/local/bin is the biber
executable. Should there be something more? Or are you suggesting that
the /usr/local/bin path should be put into the environment before the
/usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux path? I tried this by
prepending a PATH statement in ~/.bashrc, but it didn't help.

> at the moment you should run
> which texhash

  $ which texhash
  /usr/local/texlive/2011/bin/i386-linux/texhash

Bernhard, thank for your help. You all on an AUCTeX list are indeed
very tolerant. I tried downloading a sample biblatex file and when I
run latex on them, same problem.

Haines