Re: release Autoconf?

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: release Autoconf?
Date: 10 May 2001 15:49:49 +0200

>>>>> "Steven" == Steven G Johnson <address@hidden> writes:

Steven> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> How about fixing this one
>> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/autoconf-patches/2001-05/msg00007.html?

Steven> Yes, I was kind of assuming that the immediate bug-patch queue
Steven> would be flushed first.  The above patch (using AC_REQUIRE
Steven> instead of calling a macro directly) seems correct, simple,
Steven> and safe.

Nope, I don't think this patch is right.  Do not forget that
AC_REQUIRE is invalid at the top level, and running autoupdate on an
invocation of the AU_DEFUN'd macro will leave it on the top level.

I do think the current behavior is the right one: it _works_, but
denunciates something which should be fixed.  Nevertheless, we can't
decide for the programmer which AC_PROG_LEX is to be removed.

My holding the release is mainly due to the fact that there is a
problem reported by Daniel Carroll, related to AC_PROG_CPP.  Until
this is absolutely fixed, I don't think it is sane to release
Autoconf.

Steven> That, plus Pavel's May 4 documentation patch, should probably
Steven> be applied before branching.

OK with this patch.