Re: release Autoconf?

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: release Autoconf?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:06:33 +0200

Akim Demaille wrote:

> Steven> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >> How about fixing this one
> >> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/autoconf-patches/2001-05/msg00007.html?
>
> Steven> Yes, I was kind of assuming that the immediate bug-patch queue
> Steven> would be flushed first.  The above patch (using AC_REQUIRE
> Steven> instead of calling a macro directly) seems correct, simple,
> Steven> and safe.
>
> Nope, I don't think this patch is right.  Do not forget that
> AC_REQUIRE is invalid at the top level,
I do not understand. Why is this invalid?

All this patch does is to require a another macro from inside
another _standard_ macro. IMHO, if _this_ is invalid, something is
_really_ broken in the State of Autoconf.

> My holding the release is mainly due to the fact that there is a
> problem reported by Daniel Carroll, related to AC_PROG_CPP.  Until
> this is absolutely fixed, I don't think it is sane to release
> Autoconf.
FWIW: I am also seeing random problems related to AC_PROG_CPP
(AC_PROG_CPP picking up /lib/cpp if using a cross-compiler,
sometimes I see AC_PROG_CPP being invoked twice). Unfortunately I am
currently not able to deterministically reproduce them nor do I have
isolated examples.

Ralf.