Re: release Autoconf?

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: release Autoconf?
Date: 12 May 2001 00:32:51 +0200

>>>>> "Ralf" == Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> writes:

Ralf> Hmm, I think we might be talking past each other:

Ralf> All I am trying to say is: This check checks for a tool which is
Ralf> not applicable/illegal to use for cross compilation (/lib/cpp is
Ralf> a native build-host tool).  As a side-effect of this it will
Ralf> silently pick up a wrong tool instead of complaining/aborting if
Ralf> $CC -E fails.

Aaah!  Thanks, indeed, I completely missed your point!

What would you suggest?  Fail when lib/cpp is chosen but
cross_compiling?  Look for $target dependent tools?

In fact, I guess that cross-compilers are good compilers, so it is
surprising that they are rejected with -E.  Do you think our test is
bad?

I'm really lost.  What is the best thing you think we should do?