Re: [avr-chat] Un-tar-ing a file in Windows

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Un-tar-ing a file in Windows
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:02:49 -0600

TODD BATZLER wrote:

David,
By golly if that didn't work. Thanks.
I've been using WinAVR since it's come out and completely spaced on the fact
that there was a 'utilities'
directory. Being only a native Windows user and not familiar with other OS's (sorry guys) when I read the WinAVR manual and it refers to "Many native Win32 GNU programs and utilities including make and bash. " in the latest WinAVR version Manifest. I didn't make the connection that any "Unix-like" utilities would have been
included.  TkInfo doesnt' mention anything about the utilities either.  It's
easy to say and I'm certainly not
being critical of Mr. Weddington's work on the WinAVR user's manual but it
would be nice to flesh out that
area of the manual for the benefit of those of us not familiar with the Unix
system and it's utilities by someone
intimately familiar with what's there and what they're for.  (Like, what's
'bash'?)

I'm always open to feedback. Just drop a line.

I'll put that on the todo list to add more info to the user manual about the utilities. It may not be comprehensive, due to the amount of space. But perhaps I can also dredge up some good links so users can investigate further.

The reason why there isn't any documentation in TkInfo about those utilities is because those utilities were found quite some time ago mostly in one or two packages. They were already prebuilt for Windows. So no docs were generated for them.

Eric