Re: [avr-chat] Help with STK500

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Help with STK500
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 13:50:58 -0400

On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 09:08:10PM +0530, Kitts wrote:

> Thanks! i did not know about the new programmer id "stk500v2" and
> kept trying just "-c stk500". I hope it is stable enough for my
> work! Anyway where can i get the older firmware for better
> consistency?

I think you might need to dig it out of an older version of AVR
Studio.

> > I think AVRDUDE does as well.  What specific features of the STK500
> > do you need that AVRDUDE does not support?
>
> Setting the analog voltage, the target voltage and the ocillator in
> particular.

These are fully supported in AVRDUDE.  To set them, use terminal mode
(-t command line option) - they are documented in the man page.
Specifically, the following commands:

           vtarg voltage
                   Set the target's supply voltage to voltage Volts.  Only
                   supported on the STK500 programmer.

           varef voltage
                   Set the adjustable voltage source to voltage Volts.  This
                   voltage is normally used to drive the target's Aref input
                   on the STK500.  Only supported on the STK500 programmer.

           fosc freq[M|k]
                   Set the master oscillator to freq Hz.  An optional trailing
                   letter M multiplies by 1E6, a trailing letter k by 1E3.
                   Only supported on the STK500 programmer.

           fosc off
                   Turn the master oscillator off.  Only supported on the
                   STK500 programmer.

           sck period
                   STK500 programmer only: Set the SCK clock period to period
                   microseconds.

                   JTAG ICE only: Set the JTAG ICE bit clock period to period
                   microseconds.  Note that unlike STK500 settings, this set-
                   ting will be reverted to its default value (approximately 1
                   microsecond) when the programming software signs off from
                   the JTAG ICE.

           parms   STK500 programmer only: Display the current voltage and
                   master oscillator parameters.

                   JTAG ICE only: Display the current target supply voltage
                   and JTAG bit clock rate/period.

> Is there a front end for the avrdude?

Looks like Vaclav answered this.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
BDMICRO - ATmega128 Based MAVRIC Controllers