Re: [avr-chat] Help with STK500

From: Kitts
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Help with STK500
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 00:37:16 +0530

On Saturday 21 May 2005 11:20 pm IST, you wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 09:08:10PM +0530, Kitts wrote:
> > Thanks! i did not know about the new programmer id "stk500v2" and
> > kept trying just "-c stk500". I hope it is stable enough for my
> > work! Anyway where can i get the older firmware for better
> > consistency?
>
> I think you might need to dig it out of an older version of AVR
> Studio.

I could have tried this but i do not have a windows system accessible to
me along with my stk500. So if i just got the older hex file ill burn
it right here. :-)

> > > I think AVRDUDE does as well.  What specific features of the
> > > STK500 do you need that AVRDUDE does not support?
> >
> > Setting the analog voltage, the target voltage and the ocillator in
> > particular.
>
> These are fully supported in AVRDUDE.  To set them, use terminal mode
> (-t command line option) - they are documented in the man page.
> Specifically, the following commands:
>
>            vtarg voltage
>                    Set the target's supply voltage to voltage Volts.
> Only supported on the STK500 programmer.
>
>            varef voltage
>                    Set the adjustable voltage source to voltage
> Volts.  This voltage is normally used to drive the target's Aref
> input on the STK500.  Only supported on the STK500 programmer.
>
>            fosc freq[M|k]
>                    Set the master oscillator to freq Hz.  An optional
> trailing letter M multiplies by 1E6, a trailing letter k by 1E3. Only
> supported on the STK500 programmer.
>
>            fosc off
>                    Turn the master oscillator off.  Only supported on
> the STK500 programmer.
>
>            sck period
>                    STK500 programmer only: Set the SCK clock period
> to period microseconds.
>
>                    JTAG ICE only: Set the JTAG ICE bit clock period
> to period microseconds.  Note that unlike STK500 settings, this set-
> ting will be reverted to its default value (approximately 1
> microsecond) when the programming software signs off from the JTAG
> ICE.
>
>            parms   STK500 programmer only: Display the current
> voltage and master oscillator parameters.
>
>                    JTAG ICE only: Display the current target supply
> voltage and JTAG bit clock rate/period.

Thanks! ill try this its all i need! :-P

> > Is there a front end for the avrdude?
>
> Looks like Vaclav answered this.

I have checked this out. Had a little trouble compiling it on linux with
the makefile being for windows only. Anyway i got the windows
executable and ran it under wine. This is good but not exactly what i
am looking for.

Basically i have no problem using the command line so i am not really
looking for a simple replacement. I was more looking for a stk500
dialog that pops out of avrstudio. I just do not want to be going
through the datasheets of the processors to know which fuse bits to
program and which not to. This means a lot to me as i do not work with
the same processor most of the time.

--
Cheers!
Kitts