Re: [avr-chat] AVR IDE [WAS: UISP / AVRDude : what to choose ?]

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] AVR IDE [WAS: UISP / AVRDude : what to choose ?]
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:19:35 -0500

On Aug 30, 2005, at 12:11 AM, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

"E. Weddington" <address@hidden> wrote:

I agree with David Kelly in the sense that *arbitrarily hiding
important project information behind a binary-based GUI* is a Bad
Thing. I've seen these issues too.

Btw., lately it appears to become common to use XML files instead.  It
has at least one advantage: if something goes wrong, you can have a
look into it, and perhaps even fix that.

Thats why I was up late the other night, installing MacOS X Tiger and X-Code on my laptop. X-Code appears to be exactly the right way things should be done, expect no less of Apple. It appears to be a GUI which drives standard CLI tools such as gcc 3.3 and 4.0, both were on the base install disk. X-Code is not installed by default.

Every configuration preference thruout MacOS X that I've seen is stored in XML files. Right on down to every application preference, user accounts and network settings. A bit of a pain to learn to use netinfo rather than edit text files directly, but it is the right way to go.

Avr-gcc under X-Code would be something. Have heard several have it running.

Isn't it amazing? Go to your local computer store and purchase a Macintosh or MacOS X, and the GNU toolchain is included? Especially considering how anti-Apple the FSF has been in the past. Am still stunned my mother and father can send email using Unix.

Point some have missed in my reply: the <sarcasm> annotation.

As for "GUI saves time!", well I'm having the opposite experience. If I have an editor I know and works well then how does a GUI IDE add value when its hard to step out from the IDE to edit and resync when returning to the IDE? Some have an option to use an external editor but that rarely works cleanly and is only one more complication.

Have mentioned MPLAB and CodeWarrior as IDEs. One other bad memory is iSYSTEM.

Lacking a decent editor on Windows I picked up on PN2 from WinAVR. It works good, not great. The feature I miss the most is the ability to split a window, to look at one end of my file while editing on another end of my file.

PN2 will launch Make without having to leave the editor. Great. Thats where I spend most of my time, edit/compile and edit some more. Too many I know edit in the debugger. Rather than design their code to work they tune it until it "works" in the debugger. I hate that and I hate having to repair/maintain code which was created that way.

Launching AVR Studio to debug isn't much of a hassle. I launch it when I'm ready to verify my code works, not when I want to see what my code does. However there was an announcement on one AVR list recently of someone at Atmel having alpha or beta interface for avr- gcc in AVR Studio. That should appease some. I might even use it myself if the editor windows will split horizontally.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden