[avr-chat] JTAG ICE mkI / II

From: Vincent Trouilliez
Subject: [avr-chat] JTAG ICE mkI / II
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:47:22 +0100

(starting a new thread about this, to tidy things up a bit... )

Joerg, Graham, David !

Your latest comments now make me lean towards the ICE-Cube again now,
this discussion is like a roller coaster ! ;-)

I selected the Mega32-16PI and will probably stick with it in the mid
term, as it's the most versatile (many IO pins, a good mix of
peripherals, and a decent amount of memory) chip available in DIP
package. I can't use other packages as I don't have the equipment to
handle them, and DIP packages are the most practical to use when
developing/testing the Hardware on a prototyping board.

So if the Mk1 can unleash the full potential of the mega32 JTAG
interface, and given that avarice/gdb can exploit it, then in my
particular case, the Mk2 would give me no real benefit.
I guess buying a cheap clone is risky, but the ICE-Cube looks like a
good alround quality unit judging by the pics, and I guess it works
well, otherwise it would be rather suicidal from Graham to openly
advertise it here ;-)

The ICE-Cube is fairly priced, and the US dollar being still very weak
against the Euro, makes it even cheaper :-)

I think I won't resist buying one for X-mas...
In the meantime, I will try to learn how to use GDB... my only attempt
last week was a total failure, oops...
Any tutorial available on the net somewhere, to teach the basics of it,
how it works and how to operate it ??

--
Vince