Re: [avr-gcc-list] m128 can not be programmed

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] m128 can not be programmed
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:41:25 +0200

On 02/12/14 at 07:06 Sander Pool wrote:

>Folks,
>
>I posted the message below on one of the avrfreaks forums. Just in case
>some
>of you don't read those, here's a copy of my message.
>
>Thanks!
>
>       Sander
>
>------
>
>Hi all,
>
>it's been a long time since I've posted but I finally got my m128 board put
>together. I wrote a super simple test program and verified with a mega163
>on
>the STK500 that it works. My m128 board uses the 10 pin ISP connector from
>the STK500 for programming and a 4053 to multiplex the programming signals
>with the RS232 level converter.
>
>When I try to program my m128 for the first time it tells me that it can't
>program the device. I briefly see the reset LED light up, indicating that a
>programming attempt is made. I power the board from my STK500. Here are
>things that I measured:
>
>Before programming:
>
>- VCC and GND signals look good
>- No clock signal (this worries me but perhaps default fuse setting doesn't
>use external chrystal?)
>- PEN is high
>- RESET is high
>
>While programming (half a second or so)
>
>- RESET goes low
>- SCK shows clock activity on actual m128 pin
>- MOSI shows activity
>- MISO seems to show activity but I'm not 100% sure
>
>Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can measure? This is my first SMD
>double sided board that I baked myself so I had to redo some of the m128
>pins a few times. Perhaps it overheated?
>
>Thanks in advance for any tips!
>
>Sander
>
>avr-gcc-list at http://avr1.org

Hi,

When I first started using the ATMega128, I had so much trouble with
the SPI ISP, that I wrote some JTAG Programming software. With the
JTAG programming I have had no problems whatsoever, and it is about
10 times faster that the SPI stuff. When I have had to use the SPI
programming on the ATMega128, I have had the best results
with pony prog.

Regards
   Anton Eramus