Re: [avr-gcc-list] Question about gcc preprocessing and port/pinassignme

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Question about gcc preprocessing and port/pinassignments
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:30:35 -0500

"Jeff Barlow" <address@hidden> wrote:

> It seems to me that what you are all pondering
> is how best to convince the compiler to emit a
> particular sequence of machine instructions.

I personally would rather not have to worry about machine instructions.  I
would like to be able to assume that the compiler will produce machine
instructions that do what my C language source text says.  To my mind, the
discussion is about what exactly I am saying, according to the language
definition, when I declare an lvalue volatile.

> I should think the answer is obvious: inline assembly.

Not for portable code.  Also, it's not obvious you need to do anything
special unless you understand where the language definition does not support
the end result you're trying to get.

Graham.