Re: [avr-gcc-list] Question about gcc preprocessing andport/pinassignmen

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Question about gcc preprocessing andport/pinassignments
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:27:44 -0500

"Jeff Barlow" wrote:

> You don't always get what you want.

I said that myself already.  The point is - when do I have to take control
from the compiler and when can I assume it will give me what I want.  I
can't test that everything I write produces the correct machine
instructions.  It would be easier to write in assembly in the first place.

> It sounds like you would really rather
> write application code on larger machines.

I don't understand what you mean by this.  Perhaps you are saying that my
approach to programming is not suitable for embedded systems.

> Uh, we're talking about very low level code
> that wiggles I/O pins on an AVR. You have
> to rewrite it anyway if you change chips.
> That's a red herring.

You are dismissing my enquiry.  You are saying that what I am trying to do
(and have done, for the most part, with some success) cannot be done.  Maybe
you are right, but you're not really presenting an argument to support your
position.  I personally believe that significant portability can be achieved
with proper high level language support.

Graham.