Re: [avr-gcc-list] [OT] Need For Speed (FPGA)

From: Martin Bammer
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] [OT] Need For Speed (FPGA)
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 01:22:52 +0200

Hi,

I can recommend SpartanII and Spartan3. These chips are quite cheap and
powerful. A development system under Linux is available since a few months.
It's free. I recommend to set kate as an external editor, because it's so
much better to work with. At the moment I prefer SpartanII because they only
need 2 different supply voltages. Spartan3 needs 3, which leads to a much
more complex design. Because you are a beginner you should buy a starter kit.
If you plan to create complex designs you REALLY should learn VHDL. VHDL
programming is possible (and very comfortable) with the IDE from Xilinx.

Cheers, Martin