Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debug with AVRStudio4?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debug with AVRStudio4?
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:53:25 +0200 (MET DST)

"Wolfgang Wegner" <address@hidden> wrote:

> command[0x01, 1]: 01
> USB daemon died

Hmm, please talk offline with me about that, I'd be interested in
finding the actual problem here.

Obtw., I never managed it on Linux to access these USB devices without
being root (even chmod of /proc/bus/usb/... didn't help).  Maybe
that's your problem?  Other than that, I'm using it daily in my job,
and it does, with a couple of known issues that are also present when
running it across a serial line.  Notably, it occasionally "misses" to
inform GDB about a breakpoint that has hit, so you need to ^C out of
GDB, when it will display you the actual breakpoint reached (as the
ICE did stop before where you told it to).  I haven't found that
problem so far.

> The above is under linux, but cygwin behaved very similar.

I have no idea about Cygwin's USB handling.

> After reading your message I tried again, and it seems to work over
> serial line (had to search the power supply cable first...), ...

Btw., even when connecting serially, you could still supply power
through USB.  The ICE will log off the USB bus as soon as it got a
successful sign-in command on the serial line.

Also, it might be possible to force the usbserial driver to register
the JTAG ICE as a pseudo-serial device.  However, at least on SuSE
Linux, I've noticed some 20 s or so delays after logging off the ICE
until the system restored the /dev/ttyUSB0 device node.