[avr-gcc-list] avr superoptimizer

From: Sean D'Epagnier
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] avr superoptimizer
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 23:58:02 -0600

Hi,

I posted a forum topic on a new avr superoptimizer I'm working on.
It was noted that some people on this mailing list might be interested
but don't view the forum regularly.

The forum topic also contains the source code which you can download:

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=77805

The superoptimizer looks for more optimal sequences of instructions to
replace in a program to make it faster.  So far I have had limited
success, but there is a huge potential for more optimizations.. what I
have done is like using a toy telescope to look at the sky.

The main goal is to generate peephole optimizations which gcc can use
directly.. this may take a while, but the end result  is faster code
without making the compiler too much slower.  It will take very long
time to generate these optimizations though.

Please let me know about any ideas, suggestions, or comments.

Thanks,
Sean