[avr-gcc-list] Re: avr superoptimizer

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr superoptimizer
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 22:35:55 +0200

Weddington, Eric wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden org]
On Behalf Of David Brown Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 2:17 PM To:
address@hidden Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr
superoptimizer

Perhaps we could petition Atmel to sponsor a couple of students to
make a starting point over as a summer project?

I don't think we're quite at a point to do that yet. But I'm not
ruling it out completely.

I really don't know the status of LLVM and how well it would work for a small device like the AVR - but it would be *very* interesting to find out! There are a lot of small microcontrollers with limited or no open source compilers, most of which are poorly suited to gcc ports. Maybe they are equally unsuitable for LLVM ports - but maybe not. The only way to know for sure is for someone to work on such a port and see how it goes. That sounds like a great student project to me!