[avr-gcc-list] Re: avr superoptimizer

From: David Brown
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr superoptimizer
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 22:17:24 +0200

John Regehr wrote:
That's why I'm (desperately) hoping that the LTO project in GCC will eventually help in this area.
<http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LinkTimeOptimization>

Alternatively, an LLVM backend for AVR would give this capability (approximately) for free.

"approximately free" being just the time taken to write an AVR backend of LLVM, as well as to figure out how to handle non-standard issues such as interrupt handling and flash data access, and then to port avr-libc.

I fully agree that an LLVM backend for the AVR has the potential to be a wonderful thing, and maybe that if one were starting from scratch today, it would be easier to write an AVR backend for LLVM than for gcc, but I think unfortunately it would be quite far from "approximately free".

Perhaps we could petition Atmel to sponsor a couple of students to make a starting point over as a summer project?