Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR discontinued ?!?!?

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR discontinued ?!?!?
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:07:39 +0200

Le 07/06/2010 23:15, Weddington, Eric a écrit :
It's still tricky to have WinAVR quality on Linux
What do you mean by that? I've been working on linux for
quite some time
now and I'm wondering what the gcc in WinAVR could do better than my
avr-gcc installed from the repositories?
Typically there is a delay between when WinAVR is released, with the latest patches to
nominally recently released versions of the tools, and when the Linux distros pick them
up and offer a package for the end user. What I would like to do is to close this delay
gap, and eventually offer identical toolchain releases on multiple platforms (e.g.
Windows, Mac, and 2 popular Linux distros) at the same time, or nearly the same time.
"Identical" in this case means having a single package that includes the same
tools, at the same versions, with the same patch sets. Well, that's the plan at least. :-)

That was exactly what I was meaning, getting Linux and Windows releases at the same time or nearly same time, directly as an up to date distro package, instead of having to get WinAVR to get the correct set of patches and then compile yourself for Linux. WinAVR is also the 'reference point': if you think you have encountered a bug with the avr-gcc toolchain, the first thing to do is to check that your Linux environment is similar to what WinAVR provides at that time and only then you know that you may have found a 'real' avr-gcc bug (and usually it was a missing patch). I hope for Eric's plan for a long time...!