Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Studio 4.19 does not work with AVR Toolchain 3.4.

From: Georg-Johann Lay
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Studio 4.19 does not work with AVR Toolchain 3.4.0 (informative)
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 23:58:01 +0200

Erik Christiansen schrieb:
Graham Davies wrote:
"Georg-Johann Lay" wrote:

If you start a new topic, please don't
do that by replying to another thread ...
I'm very sorry.  I completely deleted the subject and body of the
message, leaving only the list's e-mail address, in the expectation
that that would be the same as composing a new message.  Obviously,
something is going on that I don't understand.  I have no idea how my
message could have been connected to the previous one.

[...]

Despite going over the email headers in your OP several times, I can't
find any "In-Reply-To:" header, or "References:", which would link it to
any existing thread. (And yet mutt did that here too.) The post looks
OK to me.

The mail Graham answered has the message ID
   20120808124618.GA5488 at atmel dot com
which is Senthil's mail from 2012-08-08.

Graham's main references that message ID, amongst other IDs.

For many years I too have successfully started new threads on a number
of lists, simply by changing the subject line, and deleting
"In-Reply-To:" and "References:" headers.

No, you don't start a new thread by that technique.

You change the topic and the participants of the old one.
For example, just have a look on the current thread
layout in the mail archives:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/avr-gcc-list/2012-08/threads.html#00014

In email clients that support threading it looks similar.
This also means that a new topic is more likely to stay unnoticed.

If someone just sees traffic on
   "Potential stack corruption in naked functions at -O0"
and is not interested in that topic, he might pass by without
opening the thread and actually read it.

I'm not sure what the supposed quoting problem is, since as received
here, your post does not quote anything. The only funny quoting I've
seen is the TOFU presented by your critic.

Yes, I used TOFU because I did not answer to the /content/ of
the mail.  My note was just a hint on how to start a new thread
in general and that it's appreciated not to top-quote.

For any critique to stand, it should demonstrate a problem with the
headers in your post. We'll await that with curiosity.

You can see the relevant bits of information in the source of the
mail and in the mail archive.  Go to a page of the archive, e.g.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/avr-gcc-list/2012-08/msg00017.html

and read the HTML source.  The message IDs are in comments at the top.

Johann