Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Studio 4.19 does not work with AVR Toolchain 3.4.

From: Graham Davies
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Studio 4.19 does not work with AVR Toolchain 3.4.0 (informative)
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 07:40:15 -0400

Vidya Praveen wrote:

.. nothing has changed in Atmel AVR
Toolchain 3.4.0 that might cause an
incompatibility with AVR Studio 4.19.

That's what I thought for three hours of resetting, rebooting and looking for the problem everywhere but in the toolchain. I am sure of my report because this is what I did after those three fruitless hours:

1 - Reinstall Windows XP SP3 (actually, overwrite the partition with a snapshot taken at the second reboot of a Windows installation, which is the same thing but a lot faster) 2 - Before installing anything, other than Firefox, install AVR Studio 4.19 and the Jungo USB drivers.
3 - Install AVR Toolchain 3.4.0.
4 - Perform four trials using two projects, one new and one known to be problem-free, and two debug interfaces, an AVR Dragon and a JTAGICE Mk II. AVR Studio crashes at Start Debug on all trials. Reboot the PC between trials. On all trials, Connect To Debugger and Read Device Signature worked fine. I used Update Firmware on the AVR Dragon.
5 - Uninstall AVR Toolchain 3.4.0.
6 - Install AVR Toolchain 3.3.1.
7 - All trials now enter debug successfully.

But it will be interesting to see what
is causing this failure. You could try
to get in touch with Atmel support.

I don't have the time to be interested right now. If my guess that Atmel are dropping support for AVR Studio 4.x is correct, then they won't be very motivated to figure this problem out.

Graham.