Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Studio 4.19 does not work with AVR Toolchain 3.4.

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR Studio 4.19 does not work with AVR Toolchain 3.4.0 (informative)
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 17:26:52 +0200

On 09/08/2012 17:20, Erik Christiansen wrote:
On 09.08.12 16:05, David Brown wrote:
For what it's worth, I too dislike the newer AVR Studio - partly
because I do most of my development work with Linux, and partly
because even on Windows it is a bloated mess.  I can't figure out why
they decided to use MS VS as a base - the industry has practically
standardised on Eclipse, and the single biggest request from users
for AVR Studio 5 was that it be cross-platform.  But I guess Atmel
had their reasons, and they are certainly good at making the compiler
toolchain easily available from Linux, so I don't want to complain
/too/ much.

Quite a few people like Eclipse - I pretty much only hear good things
about it. But I'm too old to change my text hacking mindset from text
based toolsets - and I'm welded onto the gnu toolchain, across a number
of target platforms, having used it exclusively in the latter half of a
quarter century of embedded development. (ctags and a few bits and
pieces give me enough of Eclipse's bells and whistles to keep me
happy.) So long as that's convenient on linux, I'll continue to use
AVRs.

Erik

I like Eclipse these days - it's much better than it used to be. I find the navigation tools, syntax highlighting, and as-you-type checking to be very useful. But I do all the builds using external makefiles rather than Eclipse's project management - it's an editor only, for the most part (I use it as a debugger too on some targets). I like to be able to ssh into my development machine, edit files with nano (a simple text-based editor for those that don't know), and rebuild with "make".

mvh.,

David