Re: [Axiom-developer] Units

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Units
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:27:46 +0200

Dear Cliff,

I'm very much surprised that there is anything sophisticated behind units, but
you probably were, too. In fact, I'd love to see an example.

C Y writes:

 > Hmm.  I'm betting human understandable proofs are probably possible only for
 > a small subset of what is provable.

You are quite in line with Doron Zeilberger here.

 > If you want to think of it one way, the whole notion of doing symbolic
 > mathematics via computer involves bridging the gap between fundamentally
 > continuous processes (e.g. integration) and fundamentally numerical, digital
 > ones (the machine level workings of a digital computer).

I fail to see anything continous behind the process of integration. Well, we
call the objects continous, but still, these are discrete objects. We are never
ever treating a continous family of objects.

All the best,

Martin