RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor and Lisp

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor and Lisp
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:39:11 -0400

On October 18, 2005 10:40 AM Camm Maguire wrote:

> Peter Broadbery writes:
> > Anyway, just thought I'd offer some support.  Anyone know
> > of a lisp parser generator?
> >

> Heard good things about Zebu, but no direct experience.  Had
> an idea once about a GCL lisp interface to flex and bison, but
> it is not clear how much use this would ever see.

Having built Aldor once on Linux and after trying to get it to
build on Windows MSYS (not working yet), I have learnt a little
about its internals. It seems that Aldor's grammar is parsed by
flex and bison - natural I suppose since Aldor is written
mostly in "C".

Although Aldor is still not open source so it might not be
kosher simply to steal the grammar code directly, perhaps this
grammar has been published elsewhere, so that we would not
have to regenerate it?

Camm, what do you mean by "GCL lisp interface to flex and
bison"? These are external programs that produce "C" code.
Do you just mean creating the bindings that would allow the
generated parser code to be called from lisp?

On another related subject, I think this thread in gcl-devel
is very relevant to our discussion of the future of SPAD and
Aldor:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gcl-devel/2005-10/msg00045.html

within which Robert Boyer discussing ML, strong typing and
proof theory.