RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor and Lisp

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Aldor and Lisp
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:45:03 -0400

On October 18, 2005 11:30 AM C Y wrote:

> > Heard good things about Zebu, but no direct experience.
>
> That's this one?  http://www.cliki.net/Zebu  Does it work with
> GCL? There might be some confusion with license issues, judging
> by the Cliki discussion, but it sounds like a simple question of
> contacting the right people and verifying that we can use the
> output of Zebu in a non-GPL context.  Perhaps it would be worth
> following up on - it seems to have a rather impressive feature
> list.  Any other opinions on this?

Following a few links from:

"Note that Zebu does not seem to have a way for the user to control
operator precedence and associativity, making it hard to use it to
generate a parse for all but the simplest languages. Not meaning
to slam Zebu, but it may be more effective to use CL-Yacc or even
Bovine or Wisent running under Emacs until Zebu is made more
featureful (see also my contribution to the license argument below).
 -- Joe Corneli"

I found:

http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/cl-yacc

"CL-Yacc - a LALR(1) parser generator for Common Lisp

CL-Yacc is a LALR(1) parser generator for Common Lisp,
similar in spirit to AT&T Yacc, Berkeley Yacc, GNU Bison,
Zebu, lalr.cl or lalr.scm.

CL-Yacc uses the algorithm due to Aho and Ullman, which is
the one also used by AT&T Yacc, Berkeley Yacc and Zebu. It
does not use the faster algorithm due to DeRemer and Pennello,
which is used by Bison and lalr.scm (not to be confused with
lalr.cl).

While CL-Yacc has undergone no systematic testing, I use it
for compiling a grammar for a superset of < C > (over 400
productions) that routinely parses thousands of lines of
< C > code.Features

 * Free Software with very liberal redistribution provisions
  (COPYING);
..."