Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Has anybody attempted to buildAldor+Axiomlatel

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Has anybody attempted to buildAldor+Axiomlately?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:07:10 -0700

Bill Page address@hidden wrote:
> Mostly I would conclude from this excersize that simply building
> a wiki (however sexy or easy to use) and hoping that people will
> simply show up to create content is misguided. You can point to
> the counter-example of Wikipedia but I am convinced that here the
> difference is only a matter of scale and not one of ease of use.

I would mostly agree.  But there's a lot to be said for ease of use.
More than ease of use I would say simply "aesthetic" -- kludgy, but
pretty interfaces are better than well-designed but ugly ones.
Wikipedia has aesthetic and scale on its side.

> So the solution to the spam problem that I like most right now is
> to embed the existing Axiom Wiki site inside Plone and use the
> standard Wiki skin to keep the same look and feel as the existing
> site. This gives us access to the Plone user registration process
> which allow us to limit edits and comments to authenticated users
> and also would allow us to merge the content of both the Wiki and
> the Portal without loosing any functionality.

I think that's a fine idea.  I think it will handily solve your spam
problem, especially if the plone registration involves email
verification.  I'm not sure what you mean about wiki skins...but the
Plone interface is just fine.

But, plone is dog slow.  I'm not sure how axiom-developer is set up, but
you'll want a caching proxy.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    Only after you've tried to figure something out for yourself and
    failed are you ready to absorb "the answer."