Re: [Axiom-developer] DeveloperNotes.pamphlet

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] DeveloperNotes.pamphlet
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:34:01 +0200

[snip]

I've modified that file (on build-improvements) to take into account
the exit status of latex and the makefiles do now take it into
account.  The consequences is that it exposes few cases where the
typesetting process is not OK.  The above mentioned file is one of
them.  In particular is contains in various places characters '$', '#'
un-escaped, enclosed in [[ ]].  It also contains things like

   [[./lib/htrefs]]\\
   [[./lib/htsearch]]\\
   [[./lib/hthits]]

which confuses latex in many places.  etc.

My question was whether anybody actually tried to typeset that file
successfully.

I haven't sent you the commands for nothing. Run them and you'll see that everything IS fine. DeveloperNotes.pamphlet is a noweb file, so you have to noweave it before running latex on it.

The [[...]] syntax is from noweb. A # there should be no problem. Take the follwoing file

%%%BEGIN aaa.pamphlet
This is a hash [[#]] and a dollar [[$]] sign.
%%%END aaa.pamphlet

Then say
noweave aaa.pamphlet > aaa.tex
latex aaa.tex

You should not get an error.

By the way, I rather think that latexing files should not be done by "document" but rather by some well designed Makefile logic. There is already something like that in ALLPROSE. Note that you don't know the number of times how often you need to run latex, but running latex 3 times is often too much and sometimes you even have to run latex more than that. (There can even be cases where the output doesn't stabilise.)

Ralf