Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 23:42:41 +0100

On 11/07/2006 11:17 PM, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
I oppose against special treatment of .sty files.

The general rule should be

notangle file.ext.pamphlet > file.ext
noweave  file.ext.pamphlet > file.ext.pamphlet.tex

remove ".pamphlet" and add ".tex". That rule seems to be a bit simpler than having to explain why .sty files must be treated separately.

Well, .sty files _are_ special (normal files do not contain "self
references").  And if you think about rule:

notangle file.ext.pamphlet > file.ext

this _is_ alredy broken by many files (in 'src/hyper') when we
have

file.pamphlet -> file.c

or

               /-> file.h
file.pamphlet -|
               \-> file.c

I agree that you proposal is logical, but it is also clumsy: .pamphlet
extension is already pretty long and sticking on it another extension
will give very long files names.

First. Why do you care about length of _generated_ filenames? You'll almost never see or touch them.

Second. With srcltx and inverse search, you _never_ have to type anything else than the command to start your dvi viewer with the right .dvi file. Everything else you read in the .dvi file, click there and magically your editor opens the right file at exactly the right place. I cannot imagine why you don't want that.

Third. I perhaps agree that just removing ".pamphlet" is not the best idea in general as you showed for pamphlets that contain .h and .c files. But note that then the corresponding Makefile must be more complex, since some logic of the .pamphlet file (namely that file.pamphlet contains file.h and file.c) is maintained externally to the .pamphlet.

Still, I would rather like to see a general scheme than just adjusting locally. Keep the rules simple (or rather: introduce simple rules).

One suggestion could be to have particular chunk names that say what are the "top-level" chunks and which are the corresponding filenames for notangle. (I explicitly say notangle, since I still want to see my suggestion of adding ".tex" to obtain ".pamphlet.tex" for noweave.)

Ralf