axiom-mail

Re: [Axiom-mail] Aldor compatibility

From: Zork
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Aldor compatibility
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:21:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stephen Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:

> What type of code are you working on? I would be quite interested in
> knowing.

I was planning interfaces to DISLIN and some of Netlib routines,
specifically numerical ODE, DAE and matrix routines.  I do not plan to
invent any new algorithm, but to rewrite or wrap enough to reproduce
some of Scilab features needed for optimal control.  My main motivation
for trying aldor was the lack of proper polynomials in scilab.

>    aldor -O -Fasy -Fao -Flsp -laxiom -Mno-AXL_W_WillObsolete \
>        -DAxiom -Y $AXIOMSRC/src/share/algebra fact.as
>
> This should produce three files: fact.asy, fact.ao, and fact.lsp.
>
> Now, within the Aldor distribution comes a file called `runtime.lsp'

I think that this is the right way to go.  Unfortunately linking the
runtime probably reproduces unnecesarily a lot of the routines in
axiom.  You also loose aldor native compilation and speed.  On the
other hand you **theoretically** gain all of axiom functions: have you
tried adding a call to an axiom function to your program? For example,
how would you write in aldor a function to evaluate besselJ(1,1),
compile it using the above procedure and run it under axiom? Maybe this
is the nontrivial case.

Unfortunately I believe that aldor people have no interest in axiom
compatibility, mostly because of their ties with maple.  Also, I
remember having read at www.aldor.org that one of their goals or
projects was to rewrite the remaining axiom libraries in aldor.  So it
probably is up to axiom people to export or make available their system
to aldor users, if it proves of any use.

Z.