axiom-mail

Re: [Axiom-mail] Aldor compatibility

From: Mike Dewar
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Aldor compatibility
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:44:42 +0100

I'm not in the office at the moment so can't cook up an example, but you
do not need to use the Foreign Lisp facilities to call Axiom from Aldor.
You need to do something like:

#include "axiom"

  import {besselJ (DoubleFloat, DoubleFloat) -> DoubleFloat; }
    from DoubleFloatSpecialFunctions;

The file libaxiom.al which makes all this work used to be built during
the Axiom build process.

By the way, its not true to say that the Aldor people are not interested
in Axiom because of their relationship with Maplesoft.  I know that some
of the people in that group still use Axiom - both the NAG and open
versions - with Aldor, since ( helped them with some benchmarking/code
optimisations a couple of months ago.  Its just that they have finite
resources and a mechanism for running Aldor code inside Maple fits in
with their current research interests (there are interesting problems
with having two collaborating garbage collectors operating on the same
objects for example) while resurrecting Axiom support doesn't.

Mike.