ayttm-devel

Re: [Ayttm-devel] Function prototypes in .c files

From: Colin Leroy
Subject: Re: [Ayttm-devel] Function prototypes in .c files
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:29:58 +0100

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:50:46 -0100 Andy <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

> > The reason I've been trying to remove gtk dependencies from wherever
> > possible is so that we can finally split the gui out of the core and
> > into a module.
>
> Great plan.  I'm all for working towards this.  Then can I have my Qt
> interface? :-)

As a module yes, of course, and a gtk2 one for people wanting it and such.
The only thing I don't want is an eb-lite-like destructive rewrite :) :
destructive rewrites suck.

> I think naming in general needs to be discussed.  For example, how do I
> know that a variable called filename is global?  My preference is to use
> gFileName if it's truly a global and sFileName if it's a .c file static
> global, but any way of indicating that we're dealing with a global is
> again a huge help for the developer when modifying something.

Global vars should be avoided anyway (there aren't much, only the minimum
we really _need_ afaik). The best would be to have them static and
accessed through a (public) function.

sFileName gFileName and such are horrible to type, too. I need to press
three time on shift to type it, that's quite awful at end of a coding day
(I code 12 hours/day so it counts at end of day)

etags helps much more than naming to know what we refer too than
hard-to-keep naming conventions.

--
Colin
Reality continues to ruin my life.