ayttm-devel

Re: [Ayttm-devel] Function prototypes in .c files

From: Andy
Subject: Re: [Ayttm-devel] Function prototypes in .c files
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:22:03 -0100

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 20:29, Colin Leroy wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:50:46 -0100 Andy <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
> > I think naming in general needs to be discussed.  For example, how do I
> > know that a variable called filename is global?  My preference is to use
> > gFileName if it's truly a global and sFileName if it's a .c file static
> > global, but any way of indicating that we're dealing with a global is
> > again a huge help for the developer when modifying something.
>
> Global vars should be avoided anyway (there aren't much, only the minimum
> we really _need_ afaik). The best would be to have them static and
> accessed through a (public) function.

I agree with that.

> sFileName gFileName and such are horrible to type, too. I need to press

I don't agree with that :-)

> three time on shift to type it, that's quite awful at end of a coding day
> (I code 12 hours/day so it counts at end of day)

> etags helps much more than naming to know what we refer too than

What's an etag?

> hard-to-keep naming conventions.

What's so hard to keep about naming conventions?  All it requires is a little
discipline.  In my code I can look at any variable anywhere and tell
instantly whether it's a global [not many!], a parameter [input, output, or
both], or a local.  That's a huge advantage when 'new eyes' are looking at
the code.

Andy