bibledit-general

[be] crashes with 3.8-1/ubuntu-karmic

From: David Gardner
Subject: [be] crashes with 3.8-1/ubuntu-karmic
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:02:24 +0200

Hi,
 I sent thist to the wrong list yesterday... I've still got the problem but
I've been digging more...
-----
 I'm not sure what's changed, but I'm suddenly getting crashes in formatted
view. USFM view doesn't seem to crash.  I've not been using bibledit much
on this computer since I upgraded to ubuntu karmic a couple of weeks ago,
but was doing a little this morning morning, and this afternoon it's
become unstable. I've tried moving aside my .bibledit and re-populating
the text from the GIT repo we syncronise data via, but that didn't seem
to help. (plus of course it looses my notes :-( )

/tmp/bibledit/bibledit.log reports:
=====================
(bibledit-bin:7567): Gtk-WARNING **:
/build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.18.3/gtk/gtktextview.c:4567: somehow some text
lines were modified or scrolling occurred since the last validation of
lines on the screen - may be a text widget bug.
**
Gtk:ERROR:/build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.18.3/gtk/gtktextview.c:4568:gtk_text_view_paint:
 code should not be reached
Aborted
=====================

Mostly it seems to happen if I look at one chapter then go back to the
place I've just been, but once it has crashed I only seem to have an
approximatly 10% chance of bibledit not crashing immediatly, at which point
the error seems to be:

=====================
(bibledit-bin:8010): Pango-CRITICAL **: pango_layout_xy_to_index: assertion
`PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed

(bibledit-bin:15332): Gtk-CRITICAL **: _gtk_text_btree_get_iter_at_line:
assertion `line != NULL' failed

(bibledit-bin:15332): Gtk-WARNING **: Invalid text buffer iterator: either
the iterator is uninitialized, or the characters/pixbufs/widgets in the
buffer have been modified since the iterator was created.
You must use marks, character numbers, or line numbers to preserve a
position across buffer modifications.
You can apply tags and insert marks without invalidating your iterators,
but any mutation that affects 'indexable' buffer contents (contents that
can be referred to by character offset)
will invalidate all outstanding iterators
Segmentation fault
=====================

Has anyone else had this in Karmic, or is it something odd about our data?

Is there any way of starting bibledit in USFM view?
It seems to be most crash-resistant if I change chapters in USFM view and
then switch to formatted view.

One possible hint... I've just used vi to remove the footnote in the
starting chapter (changed \f and \f* to \fz and \fz*), and that seemed to
be the significan factor:
No footnote -> no crash
footnote -> crash

Of course this doesn't explain why it was showing footnotes yesterday
morning...

David