bibledit-general

Re: [be] crashes with 3.8-1/ubuntu-karmic

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] crashes with 3.8-1/ubuntu-karmic
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 07:59:53 +0200

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 20:15 -0800, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> Teus Benschop wrote:
>
> > Something very odd happens on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic. It happened with us
> > here too, exactly the same symptoms. At times footnotes cause crashes,
> > at rare times it works. The good news here is that the new version of
> > bibledit that is in the git source repository avoids using these odd
> > bits in Karmic, and no longer crashes, even with footnotes.
>
> Can you provide me
>
> (a) instructions that will always reproduce the crash (for example,
> "Install Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 on amd64, then sudo apt-get install
> bibledit, then download *this* document and open it with Bibleedit like
> *this* and click on *this* menu item...")?  That could let me at least
> get a bit more info about the bug.

It is difficult to give instructions that will always reproduce the
crash. The reason is that the crash does not always occur. It might, or
might not, occur when a USFM document is loaded that contains footnotes.
Just loading it might cause the crash.

> (b) If possible, a smaller chunk of code than "all of bibledit" which
> triggers the bug concerned?

Footnotes use GtkChild* code could, or could not, trigger this bug.

> I can push to get stuff fixed in Lucid (Alpha 1 just came out, BTW, have
> you tried this under Lucid to see if the bug is still there?), if I can
> get a clear way to reproduce the issue and (preferably) a simple test case.

Since the USFM editor needed a good overhaul, I took the opportunity to
do just that. This means that a huge lot of code has been replaced,
actually the whole USFM editor has gone and a new one took its place.
Really, there's no way of replacing chunks of code here and there. The
fixed code, available in the git repo, has been completely turned upside
down as compared to the code that caused the crashes.

Teus.