bibledit-general

Re: [be] Setting up a remote repository returns an error

From: Neil Mayhew
Subject: Re: [be] Setting up a remote repository returns an error
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 22:03:29 -0600

On 2011-07-08 17:24, Kim Blewett wrote:
Is there a way to make git a "recommended" install for BE, rather than a dependency? Then people with flaky internet connections can choose not to fetch git, or to wait till later. But if it is "recommended", can a note be included about *why* it's recommended? Maybe apt or synaptic can't provide such a note.

Packages have compulsory, recommended and suggested dependencies. By default, apt is set to follow compulsory and recommended but not suggested. If you use apt from the terminal it tells you what the suggested packages were, although it doesn't give you the option to include them. I don't think Synaptic or Ubuntu Software Centre tell you at all, unfortunately.

I think (but I would have to check) that, in Synaptic, after you've selected a package and Synaptic has also selected the recommendations, you can deselect a recommended package without automatically deselecting the original package.

Using apt from the terminal you can supply an option to control whether recommended or suggested dependencies are followed.

--Neil