bibledit-general

Re: [be] Setting up a remote repository returns an error

From: Neil Mayhew
Subject: Re: [be] Setting up a remote repository returns an error
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 14:39:45 -0600

On 2011-07-08 23:14, Teus Benschop wrote:
The package fails to configure if git is not present, because the
presence of git is felt to be crucial for bibledit operation.

Although this is inappropriate if the application isn't going to run on
the same machine that it's being built on. Requiring git to build it is
unnecessary, and doesn't ensure it will be present on the machine when
the application is run. Build dependencies should be exactly that.

Ok, what you say is true, and I must agree to it. So then, what is the
solution? Methinks, to drop the dependency for building, and to make it
a run-time check.

There are two ways to handle this, and I think we should do both. One is to make git some kind of dependency in the package, and the other is to implement a run-time check, as you suggest. I think the package dependency should be "recommends", so that most people get it by default, but someone really wants to they can still install the bibledit package without it.

Note that I'm talking about Debian/Ubuntu packaging here, but I assume RPM packaging has a similar facility, if someone eventually gets around to making an RPM for bibledit.

--Neil