bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] native 3D-TV support (request)

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] native 3D-TV support (request)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:27:09 +0100

Hi Daniel!

On 21/03/11 11:23, Daniel Fratzscher wrote:
> during the weekend I played with your nice program. Thank you very much
> for the intergration of the HDMI-Mode! The desription of the
> HDMI-framepacking-mode seems right to me. But there is one problem left:
>
> in video_output.cpp, lines 933ff:
>
> |if (src_ar >= dst_ar)
>     {
>         // need black borders top and bottom
>         vp_h = dst_ar / src_ar * dst_h;
>     }
>     else
>     {
>         // need black borders left and right
>         vp_w = src_ar / dst_ar * dst_w;
>     }
> |

> seems not to work correct as it adds blank lines on top (of left frame)
> and bottom (of right frame) which makes both frames shifted. It would be
> better to add the shift on top of both frames. For now it worked for me
> by disabling this:
>
> |/*if (src_ar >= dst_ar)
>     {
>         // need black borders top and bottom
>         vp_h = dst_ar / src_ar * dst_h;
>     }
>     else
>     {*/
>         // need black borders left and right
>         vp_w = src_ar / dst_ar * dst_w;
> /*    }*/
> |

> By doing this, left and right frame are displayed correctly on my TV.

Yes, you are right, the black bars should be split equally between the
two views. The same bug also affected the top-bottom, top-bottom-half,
left-right, and left-right-half output modes. I have now fixed this (at
least it works for me):

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bino.git/commit/?id=6b893a1e78592e502ccaff0cbf4c6bb4d4c3d32f

> Maybe it is a good Idea to include the modelines and necessary options
> in the xorg.conf to make it easy for other users to use this mode. (Took
> me quite some time to find the right parameters)

I added a link to you original mailing list post to the manual. I did
not copy the xorg.conf sample directly into the manual because the
details probably differ between graphics card drivers and TV sets.

> Is it possible to include a resolution change in bino when switching to
> fullscreen (I use http://willem.engen.nl/projects/disper/ ) to change
> the resolution as xrandr did not work for me?

I'd rather avoid this; it is a system dependent mess. On X11, xrandr
should do this, and if it does not work for you, then there is no hope
that Bino would be able to work around this.

Martin