bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo marking and selecting random tracks

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo marking and selecting random tracks
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:28:34 +0200

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> If marks are to be used to select the tracks that will be played,
>> they lose their normal function, which is to select tracks for
>> performing commands on.
>
> I don't see how they lose anything. This is simply another
> function of marks.

However, if we recommend that people use marks to select
which tracks should be played, we cannot also reasonably
suggest that people use them as process marks.

The best we could do is say ``either use marks to select which
tracks should be played, or use them as process marks.''

> Or rather, it is a function of the random playback mode,
> it does not affect anything else.

I think this is actually a problem.  If marks select which
tracks should be played in random playback mode, why should
they not do the same in other playback modes?

> I admit that it's a bit different from how we use marks
> otherwise. I'm not arguing either for or against it.
> Anthony suggested having an option for this behaviour,
> I guess it would be off by default.

I agree that the functionality is useful and that we should
provide a feature that implements it.  But I don't think the
process marks should be overloaded with this functionality.

>> Maybe we could have several different kinds of marks ---
>> process marks, play marks, don't play marks, and so on.
>
> I don't think that this is necessary.

Because buffers are convenient enough (and more powerful)
or because overloading process marks would work well?

> Actually, I agree with you that playlists are the
> preferred way for picking tracks to play.

I would like to start exploring this more.  Though extensive
use of buffers has been my intention from the start, so far
there are not even any commands for creating new buffers.

With multiple playlist buffers, some interesting questions arise.
For example, what if you want to use one playlist buffer as a
library for another.  Could a buffer be both a playlist and a
library at the same time?  What about the UI for this?

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>