bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo marking and selecting random tracks

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo marking and selecting random tracks
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 22:58:21 +0200

Anthony Chaumas-Pellet <address@hidden> writes:

> From: Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo marking and selecting random tracks
> Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:07:02 +0200
>
>> Did you find intuitive the way marks currently work in Bongo?
>> I am very interested in this kind of usability information.
>>
>> Not an unreasonable expectation, but --- I believe --- a
>> more unnatural expectation than its opposite.  Marks are
>> semantically much like non-rectangular active regions.
>
> Once I found out about marks, they were intuitive enough;
> I had been using isearch-occur with regexpes before that
> (I'm a regexp junkie).

Hmm.  That must be very similar to marking a bunch of tracks
and extracting them with the `o' command I posted.  Right?

> That may explain why I expected marks to act pretty much
> like an interactive Occur buffer - that is, by taking
> virtual slices out of a playlist.

I see.  I think.

Hey, did you know about the `% m' command?

>> I appreciate the demand for this functionality, but I don't
>> want to install the mark solution in Bongo.
>>
>> Please use Daniel Jensen's advice (posted in this thread) if
>> you want the behavior in question.
>
> I've added that feature in mine own breed of Bongo, though
> it is integrated in a Darcs patch instead (mostly because
> I'm tracking the Darcs repo very aggressively).

Ah, of course.  Cool!

>> Right!  Note that you can already do this.  Just create a
>> new empty buffer and run `M-x bongo-playlist-mode' or find a
>> file called something ending in `.bongo-playlist'.
>
> What I am missing at present is a way to "tie" the loose
> buffers together; I'll give my thoughts on the subject
> once I've used multiple playlists some more, though.

You are definitely on to something here.
There's a lot to be said about that subject.

>> Did you grab that one?  (Use `darcs pull'.)
>
> I guess I did the 'darcs pul' (I'm laziness incarnate)

Haha!

> shortly before you sent in your patch, or there was some
> latency, or I simply forgot to reload bongo.el after
> fetching the patch. The MIME patch works properly now.

Okay, great. :-)

>> I just meant what you are talking about.  Some way to say
>> which tracks are to be played during automatic playback.
>
> I like that one very much. Has it been discussed before on
> the mailing list so that I can read it up?

No, I don't recall any discussion about this.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>