bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Bongo marking and selecting random tracks

From: Anthony Chaumas-Pellet
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Bongo marking and selecting random tracks
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:47:26 +0200 (CEST)

From: Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:07:02 +0200

> Did you find intuitive the way marks currently work in Bongo?
> I am very interested in this kind of usability information.
>
> Not an unreasonable expectation, but --- I believe --- a
> more unnatural expectation than its opposite.  Marks are
> semantically much like non-rectangular active regions.

Once I found out about marks, they were intuitive enough; I had been
using isearch-occur with regexpes before that (I'm a regexp junkie).
That may explain why I expected marks to act pretty much like an
interactive Occur buffer - that is, by taking virtual slices out of a
playlist.

> I appreciate the demand for this functionality, but I don't
> want to install the mark solution in Bongo.
>
> Please use Daniel Jensen's advice (posted in this thread) if
> you want the behavior in question.

I've added that feature in mine own breed of Bongo, though it is
integrated in a Darcs patch instead (mostly because I'm tracking the
Darcs repo very aggressively).

> Right!  Note that you can already do this.  Just create a
> new empty buffer and run `M-x bongo-playlist-mode' or find a
> file called something ending in `.bongo-playlist'.

What I am missing at present is a way to "tie" the loose buffers
together; I'll give my thoughts on the subject once I've used multiple
playlists some more, though.

> Did you grab that one?  (Use `darcs pull'.)

I guess I did the 'darcs pul' (I'm laziness incarnate) shortly before
you sent in your patch, or there was some latency, or I simply forgot
to reload bongo.el after fetching the patch. The MIME patch works
properly now.

> I just meant what you are talking about.  Some way to say
> which tracks are to be played during automatic playback.

I like that one very much. Has it been discussed before on the mailing
list so that I can read it up?

Thanks!
Anthony Chaumas-Pellet