bsf-devel

Re: Antispam Idea in SlashDot

From: Alvaro Herrera
Subject: Re: Antispam Idea in SlashDot
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:03:44 -0400

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 08:52:34PM -0400, Aldrin Martoq wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 03:49:15PM -0400, Ma?ungo wrote:
> > http://yro.slashdot.org/articles/03/06/20/168203.shtml?tid=111&tid=126
> > What you think about that ?
>
> The Basic idea of Greylist is based on the triplet:
> - ip address of smtp sender
> - envelope sender address
> - envelope recipient address

Sorry, I didn't find anything useful in the slashdot thread (didn't look
too much though).  I had read about the greylist businness a couple
weeks ago, but forgot what it was about.  Is it supposed to make the MTA
drop the connection if the triplet is "new"?

I don't think we can get away with making the MTA play dirty tricks like
closing connections; do we aim at such a low level?  I _know_ I don't
want to mess with Sendmail's internal mechanisms, and for sure it
changes far more often than we can afford to mantain... let alone
several different MTA's (I don't care for Sendmail -- I use Postfix
everywhere)

Bad thing is that your incoming mail from unknown sources, which is not
necessarily spam, is slowed down.

... maybe we should discuss this idea in a real meeting.
(in the meantime we could have an IRC server/channel or something)

"El realista sabe lo que quiere; el idealista quiere lo que sabe" (Anonimo)