cameleon-dev

Re: [cameleon-dev] Findlib and beyond...

From: Maxence Guesdon
Subject: Re: [cameleon-dev] Findlib and beyond...
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:57:42 +0200

Hi Sylvain,

> Since 4 days, i am working on a new master.Makefile.in and the
> adaptation of cameleon to findlib...

Great :-)

> It is not very problematic. But after having converted half of the app (
> options, okey, configwin, gpattern, ioxml, ocamlcvs, zoggy2 ) i have
> problem with compiling zoggy2. If prevents me to continue the migration
> because the last part which need to be converted requires zoggy2.

I think the best way is to create a findlib branch from the
main trunk to switch to findlib, since the port to lablgtk2 is far from
complete. This way, when the findlib port is ok, you can put it back
to the main trunk. And when the lablgtk2 port is ok, i will put it back
to the main trunk (there are only minor changes to makefiles for
lablgtk2).

> I choose to pass completely the master.Makefile.in to findlib, because
> doing otherwise will be a great load of work ( ie you need to keep
> synchronized between findlib and not findlib makefile ). In fact, doing
> it without findlib is reinventing findlib with Makefile... Findlib is
> stable, more and more common... I think we could bet it will be a
> standard in some years... I think we should make only a findlib
> makefile.

Ok with that.

> Others news : libgettext-ocaml is ready... My next task will be to
> gettextify cameleon. It made cameleon depends on libgettext-ocaml, but
> there is gettext on win, unix and mac os ( i believe )... Anyway, this
> target will be choosable ( you can disable it ).

Great. Where can I download libgettext-ocaml to have a look ?

> For now, i need a compilable zoggy2...
>
> Maxence : do you have an idea when zoggy2 will compile ? If you think it
> is not for now, i will continue the migration to findlib, without
> testing, but it is more dangerous...
> Just give me an hint for this item and i will continue or not.

For the findlib migration, see above (make a branch).
About zoggy2, well it's almost done. The notebook widget is missing,
and some properties/events are still missing too (yes, zoggy2 allows
bindings events to virtual methods). I'm currently trying to use zoggy2
on the tools depending on it to test it.
I added a zoggy-to-zoggy2 translator, which is by now a script full
of sed commands but it seems to do quite the job (yet, some properties can
be lost...).

> Another question is : Can i commit changes to master.Makefile.in and
> other Makefile.

I prefer you do that in a separate branch.

> It will breaks compile till i finish the migration, but you can see the
> new method...
>
> I wait for your answer...

You got it ;-)

> ps : i am sorry not to have participate more before but it was the end
> of my curse, and i have many projects to finish and a lot of others
> excuses ( sorry ;-> ). I will work harder from now.

I understand; I have also a lot of things to do these days, and not
 enough time :-( Hopefully, August is coming, which is known to be
a month where I'm not disturbed too much, since everybody is on the beach!

Friendly,

Maxence