cameleon-dev

Re: [cameleon-dev] Findlib and beyond...

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [cameleon-dev] Findlib and beyond...
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:38:21 -0400

* Jérôme Marant (address@hidden) wrote:
> Quoting Alan Schmitt <address@hidden>:
>
> > * Jérôme Marant (address@hidden) wrote:

> > > Please don't. Findlib sucks so much. Having to create META files
> > > is just stupid ...
> >
> > I must say that I find myself convinced by this compelling argument.
>
> Ah! I knew it didn't need any further explaination! It is self-explainatory,
> isn't it?
>
> > Just kidding, of course. Findlib rulez ;-)
>
> I'm not convinced by this compelling argument :-)

;-)

> It don't like the format of META files, and this is why I've never
> found myself willing to make effort to look further ...

Findlib is one proposal to make library management easier. It has one
huge advantage: it is implemented, and a few libraries use it (we use it
a lot here at Penn for unison / xtatic / harmony development). It is
also a library, so if you want more information to be supportd in META
files, you can write a tool that supports it.

I'd be definitely willing to test (and maybe use) other tools, but I do
not know of any. It might not be perfect, but for me it's definitely
better than nothing.

Alan

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.