cameleon-dev

Re: [cameleon-dev] Findlib and beyond...

From: Debian User
Subject: Re: [cameleon-dev] Findlib and beyond...
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:10:23 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:31:21AM +0200, J?r?me Marant wrote:
> Quoting Sylvain LE GALL <address@hidden>:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > My poor Jerome... I think it is a kind of "se tirer dans le pied"... I
> > didn't write most of the META i put in cameleon... It is your work ( for
> > debian ). Sorry ;->>>>>
>
> Not really, I adapted Stephano's META files and I never tried to
> improve them. I don't even know if they work.

Indeed  they don't work... The simplest way is to do "ocamlfind list"
and you see that they are not recognized...

In fact, if you want it to be recognized, you need to have a META ( and
not a META.okey ). The best way to make it work is to put the lib in a
different dir ( okey goes in /usr/lib/ocaml/3.06/okey ).

That the scheme for findlib install :
$top_src_dir/build/{okey,configwin,options...}/META + *.cma *.cmxa *.cmi
+ pa_*.cma

( the last statement is funny, but it is a lot more easy to manage
camlp4 syntax with META, since there is a special
syntax(preprocessor,archive) = pa_ioXML.cma
syntax(preprocessor,native) = pa_ioXML.cma which is used to understand
the camlp4 syntax... After that you just need to compile wiht

ocamlfind ocamlc -package ioxml -syntax camlp4r -c my_file.ml

)

> > Speaking more precisely, i think compiling with findlib is delighting...
> > It is accurate and precise :
> > ocamlfind ocamlc -package lablgtk2 -predicate mt,init -o my_app
> > my_app.ml
> >
> > In fact, it is not more compact, but more self explanatory, ie i need
> > lablgtk2, give the init file and i want to use multithread...
> >

> > I agree that writing META is a pain. But it is a lot more simplier for
> > using library. Moreover if you have a lot of different path to include
> > etc, it is more easier to deal with...
>
> Isn't there any way to automate the creation of META files? :P

> Jérôme Marant <address@hidden>

I don't like ocamlfind guess... Writing a META is a five lines jobs...
Not so hard ( comparable to all the pkg-config scheme ).

Regard
Sylvain LE GALL