cameleon-dev

Re: [cameleon-dev] Findlib and beyond...

From: Sylvain LE GALL
Subject: Re: [cameleon-dev] Findlib and beyond...
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:42:17 +0200

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 10:54:24PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Debian User <address@hidden> writes:
>

> >> Not really, I adapted Stephano's META files and I never tried to
> >> improve them. I don't even know if they work.
> >>

> > Indeed  they don't work... The simplest way is to do "ocamlfind list"
> > and you see that they are not recognized...
>
> I got a bug report from Stephano even.

Ok, if you follow my build system it should work better next time... But
it should break the former program which build against it...

> > In fact, if you want it to be recognized, you need to have a META ( and
> > not a META.okey ). The best way to make it work is to put the lib in a
> > different dir ( okey goes in /usr/lib/ocaml/3.06/okey ).
>
> This is also why I think it sucks: the META file should be usable
> everywhere and shouldn't depend on some location.

You need to have a starting point... It is common to all i know (
ld.so.conf, pkg-tools etc ). But after that you don't have to care any
more... When ocamlfind is set up then you don't have to find the
location of okey META "ocamlfind ... -package "okey"" do it for you.

> >> Isn't there any way to automate the creation of META files? :P
>
> > I don't like ocamlfind guess... Writing a META is a five lines jobs...
> > Not so hard ( comparable to all the pkg-config scheme ).
>
> Yes, but better for those who don't want to get into it ;-)
>
> --
> Jérôme Marant

Regard
Sylvain LE GALL