cameleon-dev

Re: [cameleon-dev] Findlib and beyond...

From: Sylvain LE GALL
Subject: Re: [cameleon-dev] Findlib and beyond...
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:50:40 +0200

Hello,

My poor Jerome... I think it is a kind of "se tirer dans le pied"... I
didn't write most of the META i put in cameleon... It is your work ( for
debian ). Sorry ;->>>>>

Speaking more precisely, i think compiling with findlib is delighting...
It is accurate and precise :
ocamlfind ocamlc -package lablgtk2 -predicate mt,init -o my_app
my_app.ml

In fact, it is not more compact, but more self explanatory, ie i need
lablgtk2, give the init file and i want to use multithread...

I agree that writing META is a pain. But it is a lot more simplier for
using library. Moreover if you have a lot of different path to include
etc, it is more easier to deal with...

Concerning the proposition of maintaining two makefiles, i am not really
very hot about it. For a simple reason, it gives us two way to have
error... One day some one will tell us, "hey i have a problem
building... without findlib" another day it will be "hey i have a
probleme building... with findlib"...

To my mind : KISS. Keep It Simple and Stupid ( and findlib seems a lot
more stupid than a big line with a lot of -pp -dllink... ). One makefile
is simpler than two.

If and only if, there is a majority of developper that want cameleon to
have two makefile, i will create two make file ( but it tears my heart
).

I vote to have 1 makefile...

Regard
Sylvain LE GALL