Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 maintainer needed.. Mingw install?

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 maintainer needed.. Mingw install?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:52:58 -0800

Bob McIsaac wrote:

I tried MinGw and found it wasn't "the simplest thing that could
possibly work" (as Ward Cunningham might say).  That is the fate
of Unix tools on the Windows platform... compromises, work arounds,
and special cases are inevitable resulting in some obfuscation.

Yes... it's a pity that advanced programming languages almost always come from a Unix pedigree. So something that understands GNU Autoconf is usually needed. Chicken was no exception in this regard, although in time I hope to wean it of Autoconf. Anyways, that's why MinGW ends up mattering. Well, really Cygwin is what the academics use for Windows "support." They're not shipping end user applications and so don't care about the GPL implications of cygwin1.dll. So someone like me comes along, finds a good academic language, and adds or boosts the MinGW support to remove the GPL encumberance. That said, language academics do tend to support VC++. I'm not sure if anyone else does though, i.e. does GNU Emacs / XEmacs work with VC++? Eclipse doesn't. Generally, Visual Studio is a bad universe for open source stuff. There are no modes for funky languages, not unless someone got some funding to do a .NET version. Which happens, but that's about using the Common Language Runtime, not generating native code. I'm a 3D game developer, I want native code.

I have never encountered Watcom on my various open source food chains. I don't claim to have tried all problem domains; rather, my interests have been narrowly focused on (1) 3D game development on Windows, (2) high performance languages. Is there some domain where Watcom has claims to fame?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
I won't spend more than 1 day configuring 1 thing.