Re: [Chicken-users] 3D games in Chicken

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] 3D games in Chicken
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:30:04 -0800

Shawn Rutledge wrote:
On 2/11/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

What is your basic market motive for wanting things to "run
everywhere?"  How do you personally benefit from this, aside from some

Like a lot of open source developers I don't know how or if I will
make money.  I have a day job for that.
Well it's good you like your day job better than mine.  :-)  I quit DEC 8 years ago for lack of satisfaction.  This was at the height of the boom.  Used credit cards to live, ran out of credit, and by the time I said "oh oh" the bust was in full swing.  Didn't find any computer work during the bust, discovered signature gathering instead.  Declared bankruptcy last October.  At least I have a job that I can stand, its main advantage is I can do as much or as little work as I want, whenever I want.  Also it's exercise instead of sitting in front of a desk.  Plus sometimes I make good money.  Not now though.   It'll be a drag for the next 3 weeks, but then I'll have more measures and it'll get better.

  I'd rather that my work get
unlimited exposure (assuming I get anything worthwhile done :-) rather
than tie it down with licensing fees or retail sales, and
simultaneously have to turn a fun hobby into a stressful drudgery to
meet commercial expectations.
Well, I don't consider getting Chicken builds to run well on Windows to be "fun hobby."  Rather it's stressful drudgery.  But, I think it's tractable, and important to my objectives.  I'm starting to eliminate other toolchains that create more stressful drudgery on top of that though.  I'm starting to learn about Dev-C++ because the MinGW packaging is really good.  So instead of worrying about how to build 10 libraries for The Battle Of Wesnoth, it seems I'm down to 1.  Knock on wood, I haven't proven that those packages are actually reliable enough to produce a stacked SDL app like Wesnoth.  We'll see in another hour or two.

kind of programmer aesthetic satisfaction that "things have been
perfected?"  How will others benefit from this?  The problem is, if it's
just your own whim, then nobody else is going to do the maintenance
upkeep on it.  So that portability will never happen.  People need a
stronger reason for it to happen than "well I'd like it to be that

It has worked that way for some projects.  Just some are more popular
than others.  The most popular open-source projects have become quite
portable.

Yes, but we're talking about the Scheme universe.  You simply aren't going to get masses of people cooperating on *anything* unless they have a compelling interest to do so.  Fixed point for 3D is definitely not topical to these people.  Even 3D itself isn't, frankly.  For things 3D, the correct strategic place to start is 1 implementation, say Chicken, that does one thing well, like a 3D engine or an OpenGL value-add API.  If you can do something with that that's relevant in the real world, like ship a game, then you can probably get people to pay attention and glom onto the project.  That's the position you need to be in before a fragmented community will start doing things in a more standardized way.

For 3D there is also the much, much deeper problem that 99.9999999% of 3D developers use C++.  I think it's really going to take a "show me the money" project in Scheme before much of anyone changes their mind, and even then they'll drag their feet forever.  I do hope that Chicken's C++ interfacing is good enough to provide some conversion potential.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every