Re: [Chicken-users] RedHat and Debian packages

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] RedHat and Debian packages
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 13:15:08 -0800

Peter Busser wrote:

I am already packaging .deb packages for Adamantix, because Adamantix
uses Chicken for system level programming (i.e. security tools,
utilities, etc.). Also I have packaged over 200 eggs, a number which is
still growing. The advantage of using Debian packages instead of eggs is
that the Debian packaging system is much more advanced than the
chicken-setup system. And it is much easier to package and distribute
applications in the form of packages.

But the clear disadvantage is it's only applicable to Debian systems.  Still, I'll wager that nobody has a problem with what you're up to!

Also I have compiled most of these packages for Debian Sarge and Ubuntu
Breezy packages in the past. But that required too much handwork. Now I am
working on more efficient ways to build packages for several distributions.
When that is done, support for more Debian based distributions can
easily be added. The same goes for different architectures (I currently
only build packages for i386.)

CPack is distributed with CMake.  The documentation is still sparse, and its capabilities are incomplete.  But, I believe it's supposed to cough up packages for all sorts of different OSes.  This will be wonderful when it does all materialize.  I'm sure it'll get done, but at present, I'm in a "wake me when it happens" mode.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every